Late last year, we shared our story on how Vertical Harvest is reducing food waste through composting and new packaging. As we continue to strive to do better, we invite you to join us.
It’s not just a good idea — it truly is a global imperative. Why?
Well, did you know:
- More than 1/3 of all food produced globally goes to waste.*
- The annual value of food wasted globally is $1 trillion, and it weighs 1.3 billion tons.*
- If food waste were a country it would be the 3rd largest emitter of greenhouse gases (after China & the USA).*
- Reducing food waste is the #1 solution to the climate crisis, according to Project DrawDown – coming above electric cars, solar power and plant-based diets.*
While these statistics may sound overwhelming, you can make a difference by adjusting your habits. To help you along, we’ve developed three simple tips below. Whether you compost with Haderlie Farms or through the county-wide compost system (located at recycling centers) these tips will help you properly dispose of Vertical Harvest packaging and product waste.
- Vertical Harvest “live green” products — meaning those that come on growing medium or with their roots — are fully compostable. Every element can go straight into the compost pile.
- Our microblend packaging (Spicy Mix, Citrus Blend, Pea Shoots, Farm Blend, and Dr. Feel Good) is made by Good Natured and is fully compostable through Haderlie and Teton County. Be sure to remove the label before composting.
- Our petite green packaging (larger packs for our lettuces) is not currently compostable but we are working on it. For now, try to reuse this packaging for packing your lunches or storing food in your fridge.
Thanks in advance for joining us in this mission!