Tuna Tartare with Wasabi Mustard
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound sushi-grade tuna
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño
- 1-1/2 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion
- 1 -/2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus half a lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato — cut into 1/8-inch dice
- Wasabi mustard microgreens for garnish
- 20 best-quality potato chips
- In a bowl, combine the corn oil and ginger and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours. Strain the oil.
- With a very sharp knife, cut the tuna into 1/8-inch dice. In a large bowl, combine the tuna with 3 tablespoons of the ginger oil, 3 tablespoons of the cilantro and the jalapeño, wasabi, sesame seeds, scallion and lemon juice.
- Mix gently and season with salt and pepper.
- Stand a 1-1/2-inch-tall and 2-1/4-inch-round mold or a biscuit cutter in the center of a salad plate.
- Fill the mold with tuna tartare, pressing gently.
- Repeat with the remaining tartare.
- Drizzle the remaining ginger oil around each tartare and sprinkle with the tomato and wasabi mustard micro, the remaining tablespoon of cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Stand 5 potato chips in a circular pattern in each tartare and serve immediately.