Recipe: Pea Shoot Pesto
Try this creamy and delicious new spin on pesto with our fresh pea shoots. It provides a perfect base for a pesto pizza or delights when poured over pasta. Makes 2 to 2-1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup walnuts, raw or toasted
- 3 cups pea shoots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan OR Teton Tomme cheese (from Winter Winds Farm)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- To toast the walnuts, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread walnuts on baking sheet and roast until golden, about 10 minutes. Check by letting them cool and then breaking a walnut in half. The inside should be golden all the way through.
- In a food processor or blender, combine walnuts, pea shoots, Teton Tomme cheese and garlic. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add salt to taste. With motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Blend until well-combined and you reach your desired thickness. Scrape pesto into a bowl and use immediately, or store in a jar with a thick covering of olive oil and use within three days. You can also freeze in ice cube trays.