These tasty mouthfuls are a notch above your classic bruschetta — with the addition of salty sardines, and replacing basil with our zippy Citrus Blend. The recipe below makes 8 servings, so you’ll need to adjust up depending on the size of your gathering or the hunger of your guests!
- 8 thick slices of crusty sourdough baguette
- 2 garlic gloves, halved
- Softened butter, as needed
- Pack of Vertical Harvest Teton Tomatoes (cherry tomatoes), sliced into thirds
- 2 cans sardines (6 to 7 ounces), deboned to taste
- 1/2 small sweet or red onion, thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Flaky sea salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Vertical Harvest Citrus Blend
- Step One — Toast the bread under a broiler (on both sides) or in a toaster.
- Step Two — While the toast is still warm, immediately rub it (aggressively!) with the cut side of the garlic clove, then spread toast generously with butter. Top butter with tomato slices and lightly salt them.
- Step Three — Top tomatoes with with sardines and then onion slices. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, then season with more salt and pepper. Garnish liberally with Citrus Blend and serve immediately.